Thursday, August 18, 2011

Tuesday and Some Thoughts

Why hello!
I realize you must be in complete shock because I blogged the other day, but I have some things on my mind that I really want to share with you, namely, about Tuesday and some other thoughts.


So first, Tuesday. I finally got my first dose of "me" time since arrival.  I slept in until 9:30 (which is unheard of here, 8:00 is thought of as sleeping in), and my housemates were getting their IDs in Guayaquil, so I just read, cleaned, and decorated--it was great.  I also went out to get some food, and on the way, I stopped by a neighbor´s, Freddy´s, house, and met his wife Reina.  I got food to make lunch at Carmen´s, a lady I haven´t talked to much but I can tell she has a huge heart.  She even threw in two manderines for me!  I also stopped by the panaderia to get some bread and then our usual place for pineapple.  I felt so comfortable walking around our neighborhood, greeting people with a buenos dias, and just smiling.
When the roomies came back, Liz and I decided to try a workout DVD (shocking, I know)  and did some kickboxing and power yoga.  It was fairly amusing, especially for Brittany and Julia, who got to watch us and laugh. After the workout, we had a pretty hilarious lunch (due to conversation, not food).  Soon enough, it was time for me and Liz to go to Valdivial. Valdivia is one of the after school programs Rostro runs, and this one is in our neighborhood.  Everyone in Duran except the Mundo teachers have a permanent placement in one of the ASPs, but until classes begin, I´ll be helping out.  I was at first excited to not do this every day, but as I go, I get increasinly upset because these kids are so cute!  It´s impossible not to see God in their beauty, innocence, love, and an occasional rough outer shell.  Sure, things get crazy, but I still love being with the kids and emanating in their joy.  Tuesday, Liz and I ran the activity and made complete fools out of ourselves by dancing for everyone, but they seemed to like it!  I also jumped rope with some girls, struggled to learn names, and butchered Spanish, and enjoyed myself entirely.
On our way back home, I introduced Liz to Freddy and we were there for awhile, still massacring Spanish, but also talking about life.  He thinks that since I studied religion, I´ll be a nun, but I tried to tell him that no, that is not gonna happen.  We also went to Gabriel´s house, a grandfatherly figure who always gives us cokes and life lessons.  When we came back, Jules and Britt were cooking up a storm, and in no time we had a delicious dinner.  That night, we had our first spirituality night (one a week, we will have both a spirituality night and a community night, along with daily prayer).  It kicked ass.  Britt led it, and it was a beautiful time where we shared our faith, our darknesses, and our lights.  These girls continue to amaze me, and I still have so much to learn!


So now it´s time for "some thoughts" section, that while incomplete, are things that have been coming up here.  I´d love to know your thoughts on these!!
-We´re all made by the Creator with unique gifts.  Yet sometimes, we don´t even know what those gifts are or how we can best use them.  That´s where community comes in.  Others may be able to point out our gifts in ways we could never have known, and not only that, but they can bring out our gifts.  It is up to us as humans to ignite others to their fullest selves and to extrapolate others´gifts when they are buried.  We discover who we are and who God is in community, and in that sacred place, we can make others whole.
-(This comes from reading Tattoos on the Heart by Gregory Boyle SJ, and while I´m only on chapter 2, it´s my new favorite book and EVERYONE should read it!).  God created us, and therefore we are perfect in his mind.  God sees us as firme, or "could not be one bit better."  As humans, we tend to dwell on our imperfections and our since, but God cannot stop staring and smiling at His (or Her) creations.  God sees all the goodness He´s instilled in us--He can see our best selves, even when we cannot see it or act it.  God loves us just as we are unconditionally.  He sees the perfection of His creation in us, and we are exactlywho He wants us to be at this moment--we could not be one bit better, for this is how God loves us and made us, just as it.  Even though we all need to grow, God loves us and can only see the beauty He created.  We are beloved.  How cool is that?


This last part is still something I struggle with and am thinking about a lot, but I think it´s so beautiful and powerful.  So sit on these and let me know what you think.
Until next time, paz y amor.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the update, Al! Lots of great things to think about!!! I'm reading Jesuit Guide to Almost Everything, and between that and the homily I listened to last weekend, I've been thinking about a lot of these same things! I'll write you a letter about it, I think that'd be better than trying to leave it all here. Maybe an E-mail, since you seem to have a fair amount of access to computers. Also, if I burned you a CD and mailed it to you, would you be able to play it? If you have a DVD player I'm guessing yes! (Also that reminded me of when we did pilates in our apartment last summer! haha I love it!!!) And I love you!!!!! Keep the updates coming when you can! <3333

    ReplyDelete
  2. Community! Yes! Community is the answer to everything in my book. I am so glad you are doing well Alli! Sending you love in prayers from a few countries away!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alli, I really want to read this book now! Even though as you know I am not all about God, I do think it's really important to look for the good in everyone and everything. But I've never thought about the role of community in finding your own gifts and others' gifts. That is a really cool idea. I think that applies to my community at Boys Hope Girls Hope because each of the houseparents has different strengths with the girls--Christine and Amalia are good at strong discipline, Nicole excels at caring, and I'd like to think I'm good at both caring and tutoring. Anyway I'll stop now since I also just wrote you a letter.... love you lots. Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not having much luck with commenting via blogger today, so this one will be short. Great post--as are the others, I really enjoy your thoughts section and can't wait to read more. Also plan to go steal my housemate's copy of Tattoos on the Heart, even though he tells me I must buy my own. Miss you much, glad to know you are safe, and hopefully chat with you soon...

    ReplyDelete