Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Notes on Surviving my First Month and my First Week

As portrayed by the title, this blog is about a lot of firsts. Thursday, September 1st marked our one month anniversary of being here in Ecuador. And last Friday commemorated my first week being a teaching. So clearly, a lot is going on.


Some firsts that have happened in the past week of teaching and the past month here:

  • The first time teaching a class (and the first time feeling sense of accomplishment doing so!)
  • The first time eating at an Ecuadorian's house (which is now a fairly common occurrence...and delicious!)
  • The first time watching two community mates perform with an Ecuadorian band at a concert in downtown Guayaquil
  • The first time seeing a reggaeton artist live and also having a major gringo dance party to him
  • The first time cleaning the cistern (just about as fun as it sounds...)
  • The first time feeling like I helped my students understand a new concept
  • The first time making a delicious and satisfying dinner for four for under $3
  • The first time realizing that Jesus was a man with others, not for, and that's what I should strive to be
  • The first time feeling truly at home outside of Indy and Fairfield
  • The first time holding a two week old baby since fourteen years ago
  • The first time entering into a stranger's house only to have a two hour conversation and leave feeling like friends
  • The first time living on less than $20/week and feeling blessed and privileged to do so
  • The first time wondering if the love I give to a kid is all he or she might receive that day
  • The first time I have witnessed not only the injustices my neighbors face every day, but also how we as gringos living there can sometimes only hurt more than help
  • The first time doubting if Rostro de Cristo is truly being the face of Christ
  • The first time realizing that the only way I can help is by being an example of love to each individual I encounter and that I can't worry about the long term, I can only do my best in each moment.

There are so many other firsts that have happened, but that would just be insanely long. However, I have felt so blessed to have the opportunities to teach English and to visit and try to spread joy to my neighbors. They, of course, have filled me up with so much joy and love already. Just imagine what it will be like when I have real, solid friendships with some of them!

I know that some of this sounded negative, but don't worry. We've had some rough times as our community trying to realize what our purpose is here and how we can do more good than harm, but it seems pretty tough. However, I am trusting in God that I am here for a reason and that He has His plan for all of us as the year unfolds.
Until next time, paz y amor

1 comment:

  1. Alli--this is awesome! It sounds like you're having an amazing experience. I'm so proud of you!!

    Love, Becca

    ReplyDelete