Monday, December 12, 2011

Christmastime in Ecuador

And what does that mean?


It just gets hotter!!! Unfortunately, with the end of December begins the rainy season. Which means the heat and bugs are coming, too! So far, we just have the heat from those three elements (thankfully), but the other ones will be coming soon.


But it also means that I get to experience a different type of holiday season. No snow, not much Christmas music (considering our TV broke and that's our only form of playing the one Christmas CD we have), our Christmas tree is about 10 inches tall...but that's ok, I get to try to discover the pure joy that comes this time of year.


As a house, we have been very focused on Advent.  How can we prepare our hearts to better accept Christ? What can we do to try to have a better relationship with God? How can we light our inner candles of peace and joy? How can we then spread that to help light others' candles? Personally, I have been trying to work on my focus (since I cannot do that), as well as recapturing my sense of joy, play, wonder. To allow myself to be awed by God's presence, to truly be humbled in front of God's greatness and goodness. And yes, those are two different things. For some reason, it has been hard for me to really be joyful in the childlike, full of wonder sense, and I think that could greatly help my relationship with God.


One little moment that filled me with a lot of joy was our Christmas party. Every year, Rostro has a party for its volunteers and employees, and each house gets to provide entertainment. We put on some dances/songs for everyone, and you should watch!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=samptYm8-6k






In this blog, I also want to mention something that I would like for Christmas. Now since I am here in Ecuador, I don't expect or want any gifts. But if you are someone who normally gives me a gift and/or would like to get something for me this Christmas, I am going to give you 3 options.

  1. Donate to Rostro de Cristo. Obviously, this is the program I am here through, and they always could use more money to help us volunteers, to aid the retreat groups, the employees, basically everything. I know they would greatly appreciate a Christmas donation.
  2. Donate to FundaciĆ³n Nuevo Mundo. This is where I work, and although there is the morning school to help pay, it does not nearly cover the costs of the afternoon school, the 2 day cares, and the clinic. Since I work here, obviously it is very near and dear to my heart. It is a great place that truly helps kids have a brighter future among the poverty here in Duran.
  3. Donate to Damien House. No, I do not work here, but my housemate does and it is one of Rostro's oldest partner foundations. It is a home open to help people with Hansen's disease, more commonly called leprosy. This is a truly unique home, opened by Sister Annie, a nun from the US who came to Ecua to start a preschool but instead found her calling through this. Hundreds of people have been helped and are being helped by the Damien House, whether through inpatient or outpatient care. Because of the stigma of this disease, many have been abandoned by families and would have no home were it not for Damien. However, they are always struggling with money and living on a month-to-month basis. God has always provided, but it does not ease the fears that this may have to close soon, which would put people without homes and care. I know that they would truly appreciate your donation.
I hope you are all having a wonderful Christmas season, wherever it may find you. May your advent candles be burning brightly and the peace and joy of the Lord be with you.

Until next time,
Paz y amor

No comments:

Post a Comment